Ranchi- Capital of Jharkhand Ranch and situated at an altitute of 2140 ft. above the sea level and is beautifully surrounded by hills, waterfalls etc. It is also called as city of Waterfalls and lakes.
- Hundru Falls' one of the most picturesque falls surrounding Ranchi.It is 45 kms from Ranchi on Ranchi-Purulia Road.. Here, the Subarnarekha river falls from a height of 320 feet. The pools at the bottom of the falls are favourite picnic and bathing spots.
- Jonha Falls : also known as Gautamdhara is around 40 Kms from Ranchi. It is approachable by both Road and train. The fall can be admired by descending around 500 steps. There is a tourist rest house which contains Lord Buddha temple. The river Kanchi flows nearby. Dassam falls: is 34 kms from Ranchi on Ranchi-Tata Road near a village called Taimara. Here, the Kachni river falls from an altitude of 144 feet. It is also known as Dassam Gagh.
- Panch Gagh falls: is on Ranchi- Chakradharpur Road about 6 kms from Khunti.This fall consists of five streams formed in a row due to the breaking up of the Banai river which falls from a good height.Cemented walkways connect the different cataracts, of which stream 2 is the most popular while 5 is the biggest, though a bit inaccessible.
Hirni falls: Another beautiful waterfall amidst forests about 70 km from Ranchi.
Sita Fall: Adjacent to Jonha falls is Sita falls which can be seen at its best early in the morning.
- Ranchi Hill and Pahari Mandir: is one of the landmark of Ranchi Town. The Shiva temple is situated on the top of the hill also known as Pahari Mandir. At the bottom of the hill is Ranchi Lake.Ranchi lake was excavated by Colonel Onsely in 1842.
- Jagannathpur Temple : is 10 km apart from Ranchi town Jagannathpur temple was built in 1691 having resemblance with architectural style of Puri temple. Thakur Ani Nath Shahdeo, of Barkagarh Jagannathpur built the temple. Rath yatra similar to Puri is held every year.
- Sun Temple: is situated at a distance of 40 kms on Ranchi Tata Road. It is built in the form of a Chariot with 18 wheels drawn by 7 white horses. It is surrounded by a pond which is used by devotees during Chhath Puja for worshipping of Sun.
- Angrabari (Amreshwar Dham) : is a temple consisting of the deity of Lord Shiva, Ram and Sita, Hanuman and Ganesh. It is situated near Khunti at a distance of about 40 kms from Ranchi.The Shankracharya Swami Swarupanand Saraswati, having been captivated by serene, placid and celestial beauty of Angrabadi rechristened it as Amreshwar Dham
- Devri Temple: A temple of Solha Bhuji Goddess Durga,is located on right side Ranchi-Tata highway(NH33) at 60 kms from Ranchi.It is the only temple in Jharkhand where the religious rituals are performed by the Pahans(tribal priests) along with conventional Brahmins.
- GEL Church: Gossner Evangelical Lutheran Church in Chotanagpur , Assam in short G.E.L. Church on 2nd November 1845 by four German Missionaries named Emil Schatz, Fredrik batsch, Augustus Brandt and E. Theodor Janke sent by Fr. Johaness Evangelista Gossner of Berlin. They arrived Ranchi and erected their tents and G.E.L. Church was inaugurated with church service on 2nd November 1845.
In the 6th century B.C. Prince Siddhartha Gautama attained Supreme Enlightenment at this Holy place and became the Buddha. In commemoration thereof, Emperor Asoka set-up the Vajrasana (Diamond Throne) of polished sandstone representing the seat of Enlightenment in the 3rd century B.C. Thereafter he built a stupa in veneration of the Buddha which remained there upto the 2nd century A.D. The original structure of Mahabodhi Mahavihara Temple was completed in 7th century A.D. during the reign of Gupta kings. The temple underwent several restorations, renovations and repairs in subsequent period in which the Burmese greatly contributed. In 1883, a very thorough and scientific renovation of the Temple was done under the supervision of the British Archaeologist Sir A. Cunningham and J.D.M. Beglar and the Indian Archaeologist Dr. Rajendra Lal Mitra. Again in 1956, on the occasion of 2500th Buddha Jayanti celebrations, the Govt. of India did some repair works and enlarged the premises of the Mahabodhi Mahavihara. This is the most sacred place of Buddhist Pilgrimage in the world.
The gold painted statue of Buddha in the sanctum shrine of the Temple is made of Black stone built by the Pala kings of Bengal. The Buddha is seen seated in the Bhumisparsa Mudra or the Earth touching posture. The Mahabodhi Mahavihara has now been declared a World Heritage Property by the UNESCO on the 27th June 2002.